Kepos Street Kitchen, Redfern

By 12:44 AM

I recently took JHL to brunch to celebrate passing his final exam.H e was reluctant at firs,t as he is not a big fan of cafes and brunch; he thinks brunch is expensive and doesn't makes him full. Seriously, who doesn't love brunch?! 


It was relatively quiet that Tuesday afternoon and we had a choice of sitting outside, inside the cafe or at the back sunroom in the small cosy establishment.

As a starter, we ordered the Tel Aviv Falafel served with green tahini ($12). It is slightly different to the falafels I've had at Lebanese restaurants which have a fluffier and lighter interior. The Tel Aviv falafels had a distinctive crunch given by the wholeness of the ingredients and the combination of flavours worked well with the green tahini. I would be hesitant about ordering this dish again though especially with the associated price.


 Of course I had to order the baked eggs as a main (one of my favourite brunch items) and how could I resist after reading the menu item; Spicy merguez sausage shakshuka, soft baked eggs, grated haloumi, sourdough ($17). This dish was a winner! There was so much flavour and kick in this pan. JHL's only complaint was that there should of been two slices of  crunchy sourdough bread, one for each of us. 


For our second main we ordered the Wood Smoked Salmon salad w/ olives, kipflers, soft boiled egg, za’atar ($18). We were initially impressed with the generous serving of the Smoked Salmon in the dish and the flavours of the herb and spice mix were interesting and reminded me slightly of tabouli. However, nearing the end of the dish we found the saltiness of the olives together with the smoked salmon a little overpowering. 



Although I was pretty full my sweet tooth got the better of me this time and I couldn't resist ordering the Kepo Street Kitchen house Churros served with Salted Caramel Dip ($12) but I do not regret it at all!  I loved how the churros were served in a brown paper bag and we ripped open the bag to reveal the warm, sugary sticks of delicious deep fried dough.  It was unanimous that these might have been the best churros we have ever had. They were cooked to perfection, crunchy on the outside and fluffy and moist inside. And boy, that salted caramel is to die for!



I loved the uniqueness and Mediterranean and Middle Eastern influences featured on the menu. I will definitely be telling all my friends about Kepos Street Kitchen, it definitely deserves another visit. Even JHL would rate it despite his standpoints about cafes and brunch. Also I have to mention the great service we received from all the friendly staff that afternoon which was a bonus to our very enjoyable meal.



If I had enough room in my belly, I think I would have grabbed myself one of their delectable counter desserts as well. 

Kepos Street Kitchen on Urbanspoon



Kepos Street Kitchen
Address: 96 Kepos St, Redfern NSW 2016
Phone: 02 9319 3919
Website: http://keposstreetkitchen.com.au/main/
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/KeposStreetKitchen
Opening times: 7.30am-3pm Tuesday-Friday or 8am-3pm Saturday and Sunday for breakfast and lunch.
Dinner also available Wednesday-Sunday (6pm and 8.15pm sittings)

You Might Also Like

1 comments