Tasmania Eats

By 5:51 PM



This was my first trip to Hobart, Tasmania - ever. I was very pressed for time due to work commitments but I still managed to check out a few joints.

First up was Jack Greene. Located in Salamanca Place, Jack Greene serves mainly burgers for lunch and have a large variety of beers on tap. Interior was very rustic and barn-like.




I opted for the Southern Fried Chicken burger (tasmanian free range battered chicken tenderloins, crunchy slaw, streaky bacon, cheddar cheese & sriracha mayonnaise) and a side of chips. Chicken was moist and tender, and the flavours really worked well together.

Southern Fried Chicken Burger ($15.5)

Only thing that let down the burger for me was the bun. It was a bit chewy and reminded me of those flat-rolls you get from Hot Bread bakeries. The chips however, were awesome - crunchy and potato-ey. So good! Service was great here so definitely would re-visit, but probably try out all their sliders.


Jack Greene Bar Menu, Reviews, Photos, Location and Info - Zomato

Jack Greene
Opening times: Sun - Fri 11.30am - late, Saturday 10am - late
Address: 47 Salamanca Pl, Hobart, TAS
Contact: (03) 6224 9655
Website: http://www.jackgreene.com.au/


I hardly have Vietnamese food when travelling but I decided to hit up Sapa Rose as it was close-by to work. You're welcomed by a modernised establishment and friendly service. Being Vietnamese, I normally order speaking the mother-tongue. It was to my surprise that the waitress taking my order didn't understand Vietnamese, even though items were in Vietnamese with English descriptions. I had their variation of Banh Canh Cua (Drop-noodles with crab meat). It came out super hot! Quite yummy but I would have liked chunkier pieces of crab.

Banh Canh Cua (Drop-noodles with crab meat)

Sapa Rose Menu, Reviews, Photos, Location and Info - Zomato

Sapa Rose
Opening times: 11.30am-10pm (Sunday 5-10pm)
Address: 77-81 Harrington Street, Hobart, TAS 
Contact: (03) 6234 3806

I also had some time to squeeze in a meal from Kopitiam Singapore Cafe


Very homey cafe which gave off an authentic vibe to the restaurant. I initially wanted the Hainanese chicken+rice but Aunty (owner told me to call her Aunty lol) said she sold out since 1pm. I decided to go for the seafood laksa. Your given the choice of vermicelli or thick egg noodles - I got a combination of both.

Seafood Laksa ($14.90)
 The laksa came out quite quickly and in an unusual elongated bowl. It was a little bit awkward eating from it as I'm more accustomed to round bowls but that didn't detract from the deliciousness of the dish! Piping-hot and full of various seafood including prawns, scallops, fish and calamari.


Due to my problematic sweet-tooth, I completed the meal with dessert - Ais Kacang. Blend of red beans, corn, grass jelly, rose-syrup on shaved ice topped with vanilla ice cream and sweetened milk. Another please?

Ais Kacang

Kopitiam Singapore Cafe Menu, Reviews, Photos, Location and Info - Zomato

Singapore Kopitiam Cafe
Opening times: 9:30 AM to 7 PM
Address: 86 Collins St, Hobart, TAS
Contact: 0450 588 761
Website:https://www.facebook.com/KopitiamSingaporeCafe/

Prior to arriving in Hobart, I had seen so many reviews on Tripadvisor regarding the scallop pies. I managed to get my hands on the last one at Salamanca Bakehouse. Maybe because it was deep into the night (they are open 24 hours) and the very last pie, this pie was not at all memorable. Only 2 very small scallops were found and seemed as though fresh scallops weren't used in the process (I could be wrong) as it tasted quite chewy. Probably would not go back for another.




Salamanca Bakehouse Menu, Reviews, Photos, Location and Info - Zomato

Salamanca Bakehouse
Opening times: 24 hours
Address: Shop 5 Salamanca Sq, Hobart, TAS
Contact: (03) 6224 6300
Website: https://www.facebook.com/thesalamancabakehouse/

Also within Salamanca Place lies the Machine Laundry Cafe. Half cafe, half laundromat separated by a glass window and a door. Quite quirky and different and the service was fantastic.


I started off with a macchiato and chose the Ricotta hotcakes for breakfast.



The hotcakes were so damn good - nice and fluffy and went well with the roasted white chocolate chunks!
Ricotta Hotcakes w/ mascarpone, chocolate ganache,
raspberry coulis and roasted white chocolate

Machine Laundry Cafe Menu, Reviews, Photos, Location and Info - Zomato

Machine Laundry Cafe 
Opening times: 7.30am - 5pm (8.30am-5pm, Sunday)
Address: Shop 12 Salamanca Square, Hobart, TAS
Contact: (03) 6224 9922
Website: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Machine-Laundry-Cafe/113296732063100

To end this trip, I had to get obligatory donuts. These were from Small-fry. With so many options i opted for the  White Peach Oat Crumble donut - filled with white peach jam, and topped with leatherwood honey granola with a yoghurt glaze. The donut texture was doughey - just the way I like them! (unless they're Krispy Kreme OG donuts).



White Peach Oat Crumble Donut

Small-fry Hobart Menu, Reviews, Photos, Location and Info - Zomato

Small Fry 
Opening times: 7:30 AM to 3:30 PM
Address: 3/129 Bathurst St, Hobart, TAS
Contact: (03) 6231 1338
Website: http://small-fryhobart.com.au/

You Might Also Like

0 comments